A Little Secret To Maintaining A Healthy Weight


During my final years as a teenager, I had gained a bit of weight, thanks to the numerous junk food nights with friends and perhaps hormones!? At the time, I was still living with my parents and they are very strict about cooking at home and eating well. My mother used to force us to eat fruits and vegetables for as long as my memory can go back. So my weight gain was due to fast food becoming popular and a preferred place for friends to hang out. To reduce weight, I used to opt for kids meals or salads. But it didn’t really help. Then my cousin sister, who lives in France, visited us for a month. She used to eat a lot of food, more than me, and she was so slim my mother would often tell her she’s like a model. I didn’t know what she was doing and I thought it was just in her genes.

Then one day it hit me. . .


…she’s slim because she eats slowly. My cousin sister can spend anywhere from half n hour to 45 mins eating her meal because she chews so much. I had read about this in biology class but never thought of giving it a try. I had learnt that chewing more helps you absorb more nutrients, aids in digestion break down calories so you end up consuming less of it and lots of other benefits. Inspired by my cousin sister, I decided to give it a try. It can be difficult at first, especially if the food is delicious and sometimes I would forget, but I kept doing it until I was known as the slow eater amongst my friends. In the end, I did lose weight and was in the best shape I had ever been in my life. I did not lose weight in a month or two but it was a whole two years process without any additional help. Slow and steady. Of course, my parent’s home-cooked meals also helped but I did have burgers here and there.

New York’s fast-paced life has had a huge effect on me. Within a year of moving here, I had forgotten to chew my food properly. I learnt to eat fast just like walking fast and that took a toll on my health. I gained a bit of weight here. I did lose some of it thanks to a diet change and more fresh home cooked meals, the fact is I didn’t lose all of it. A few days ago, I realized that I am eating too fast. I barely chew my food and finish a meal in less than 15mins! So this year, I am going back to the art of slow living. Just like slow cooking, slow eating not only makes the food taste better but also good for your stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment