Kitchen Upgrade: New Cookware


Left; Nakao aluminum saucepans, center back; Mauviel aluminum stew pan, Center front and right; Mauviel copper pans.  
When I moved to the US, like any other student, I bought everything I needed for my apartment from Ikea. Over the years, whenever I had to replace anything I would look at other options just to mix things up. I still love Ikea because they do have very good things. I also often like to hang out there, especially during winter when walking the streets can be painful. However, their pots and pans aren’t the best out there. I had initially bought the non-stick set which was pretty decent but, when my mom found out she told me to replace them, as cooking on Teflon coated pots and pans for long durations are not good. I replaced them with stainless steel cookware.
I didn’t know much about cookware and only cared about it being non-stick. I liked the new ones but then last year, the inside bottom developed small spots that looked like the surface had chipped and that was really bothering me. I wanted to replace those pots but this time I decided to explore other brands. Through my research, I quickly found out that buying quality cookware can be an expensive affair so I had to plan my purchase and cross my fingers as I continued using the chipped ones.

As my interest in cooking grew so did my interests in cookware. I began to research types of cookware and brands. That included materials, the grade of material, lining and so much more. I was intimidated. However, there was one particular one that was showing up in almost every dream kitchen. I soon discovered Mauviel and, it’s a hefty price tag. I wanted it and dreamed of cooking in it.

On Black Friday, when almost everyone was dashing to buy electronics, I bought a Mauviel copper pan set on an amazing deal here. The set includes a saute pan, frying pan and a small saucepan. I really love these pans and if asked, they are the best I have used but, a set of three wasn’t enough. For someone who cooks every day and makes their own stock, this collection was not complete.

In my dream world, I would have bought every single Mauviel copper pot and pan but that’s still a dream. I soon found that Mauviel makes aluminium cookware that are cheaper than the copper ones but are better heat conductors than stainless steel. A lot of restaurants use aluminium for this exact reason and also because they are not as heavy as copper. I desperately needed a stewpan for soups and stock so I purchased the stewpan from E.Dehillerin. I am so glad I did because it is perfect for slow cooking and making stocks. E. Dehillerin has an amazing collection of French cookware and is usually cheaper than buying them in the US.

Last week, I went to Muji to buy cotton rounds and spotted aluminium saucepans. Of course, one can’t go to Muji and walk out with only one thing. The saucepans are very well made and priced reasonably. I bought two sizes; one small and one large. What I loved most about them is that the handles look like Mauviel.
They are made by a company called Nakao Aluminum and are made in Japan. I bought the small one for tasks such as warming milk, making tea or melting butter. The large one can be used for a lot more because of its size. It can be perfect for making rice, stews, sauces and boiling anything. I have tried to look for them online as well as the Muji online store but so far no luck. The closest thing I found to it online is here.

When I was researching brands for new cookware, I would often come across articles talking about what are essentials for every kitchen. They were also many that discussed where most money should go.

Personally, the picture above is a perfect example of basic cookware needed in a kitchen plus a heavy bottom pot also called a dutch oven.  I would strongly argue in favour of spending the most on cookware. Pots and pans are going to be used every day usually subjected to high heat, sometimes for a long period of time and then rigorous cleaning. If a good amount is spent on good quality ones you won’t have to worry about replacing them for a few years. Plates, spoons, and knives will always be bought and can be managed with just basic ones.

What are your thoughts? What cookware do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment