Do You Like ‘Crisp White Shirts’?

A white shirt is perhaps one of my most worn items, and I am sure it is for many of you as well. I fell in love with white shirts after reading a romantic novel! Yes, it’s true. Sadly I can’t remember the name of the book because I was very young but, luckily for you, I do remember the premise.

It was about the life of an aristocrat, his wife and mistress. Set probably in the early 1900s England, the setting and writing were very posh, and the lead character (probably the Christian Grey of his time) always wore a crisp white shirt with his suits. I wasn’t so much into the story as I was into the parts where the lead character was dressing up! He seemed a very fashionable smart man in his 40s, wore crisp white shirts with his suits, had perfectly combed hair and shiny polished shoes. I imagined him to be ridiculously handsome with a beautiful wife and a stunning sexy mistress. He had everything going for him. Every time he would dress up, the author would use “crisp” to describe his clothing which gave me this intense urge to iron my white shirt till it was crisp like paper.

I became obsessed with crisp white shirts. I would look at every man wearing a suit with white shirt and notice if the shirt was crisp or not. If not, it would make me mad. An unironed white shirt used to be my biggest pet peeve! It is, perhaps, suffice to say to my love for fashion was born after reading this book. Yes, as strange as it may sound, it is very true.

There’s something about the word “crisp” that makes it so satisfying to read. Maybe it is the perfectionist side in me that loves to hear words like “crisp”, “straight”, “sharp” and so on.  Ever since I have always liked a white shirt, and I must add I am not obsessed with it being crisp anymore but I do love it when I see one. :-)

Photo via here.

No comments:

Post a Comment