Recipe | Zucchini With Tomato Sauce


Zucchini is in abundance at farmers market nowadays, and of course, I love it. I couldn’t wait for this season specifically for zucchini because they are one of my favourite vegetables. There are probably hundreds of recipes with zucchini but my most favourite is to make it into a thick sauce with tomatoes and chicken. You can add any protein of your choice or skip it, but I would highly recommend chicken. Zucchini and chicken is a match made in heaven! The sauce can be eaten with anything of your choice, and as I am typing this, I am having it with couscous. It’s heaven. It is such a simple dish to make but incredibly bright and fresh to taste. Perfect for simple seasonal dinners without any hassle. You can serve it with plain rice, couscous or even pasta.


P.S. I was testing this recipe during the vegetarian week, where for a whole week I avoid any kind of meat, hence why there is no chicken in the top photo. If you would like to add chicken, I have written in the method section below. I prefer to use boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into cube size.

Recipe: Zucchini with tomato sauce
Serves 2–4

Ingredients

4-5 medium size zucchini diced largely.
1 medium size onion diced
3 cloves of garlic chopped
3 medium size tomatoes peeled and diced
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon of herb de Provence
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

In a saucepan, heat olive oil and butter. Fry onions in it until golden brown. At this point, you can add cubed chicken pieces, salt and cook until lightly brown. Add garlic, zucchini, and turmeric and cook until garlic is slightly brown. Add in diced tomatoes and finish with herb de Provence, salt, and pepper. Salt will help tomatoes release its juices.

Switch gas to low, cover, and let the sauce cook slowly for about 45 minutes. You will know it’s ready to be served when the zucchini is soft and the sauce is thick. Serve with plain basmati rice or naan.

No comments:

Post a Comment