Tips on How to Decorate a Bookshelf (And 9 Beautiful Objects)




A bookshelf is the first furniture piece I notice in an apartment. My bookshelf, although small, is my favourite furniture in my apartment because it is where all my best-loved things reside, from books to objects to art, albeit a very small collection. A bookshelf in a library would be easy to arrange but at home, you need to bring in a little personality to mix. Recently, I was rearranging my bookshelf and realised that it lacks any personality and, frankly, looked quite boring. It desperately needed a couple of new objects. The tricky part was, I didn’t know what kind of objects to buy? So, as anybody does in the modern age, I went down the Pinterest hole, looked at a whole lot of bookshelf pictures for inspiration, and narrowed down three essential tips for decorating a bookshelf.

1. Play with placing books horizontally and vertically. If you have a book with an attractive front cover, don’t be shy to place them facing out in front of other books. Grouping books by subjects and then by size is also a great idea for easy navigations. Basically, organize your bookshelf in whatever way you prefer, some people choose to organise by the colour, some chose by the cover (hard vs paperback) or by the author.

2. A good mix of antique or antique-looking pieces with modern objects looks wonderful. A good idea is to mix a new book with antique objects such as a globe or magnifying glass and an old book with modern objects.

3. A framed piece looks beautiful in any bookshelf, and, bonus, you don’t have to drill any holes. Whether it is a picture of your loved one or an art or a mix of two, it always works and adds a personal touch.

Once I figured out what I needed to buy, I set out to find objects online. I found so many beautiful objects that would be perfect on any bookshelves.  Here are some of my most favourite ones.




Top photo via Design Milk, Miniature spring forest via SwissMiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment