Will You Watch The Oscars?




Will you be watching The Oscars this Sunday? I used to be very excited about The Oscars—having hosted many Oscar viewing parties. I would try to watch all the movies nominated for Best Picture before the show and be eager to know if the movie I liked the most wins the Best Picture award. This year, I don’t find myself looking forward to The Oscars or any other award show. To put my reason in simple words, I think award shows have become very predictable.

The last couple of Oscars lacked any surprise and frankly very boring to watch. The same people in the same category win in every award show such as the Golden Globe, SAG, BAFTA, etc. and end up winning the same category at The Oscars as well. I watched the Golden Globe and I feel like every other award show after that has felt like I am watching the same show over again.

I might end up watching the Oscars on Sunday night, albiet without any excitment. I have watched some of the movies nominated for Best Picture and from the ones I have, I really liked “The Favourite” so I will be rooting for it. Have a great weekend.

Top photo is a screenshot from Gabbeh. Although an old movie and not nominated for Oscars, I watched it last October at The MOMA cinema and was the best movie I watched last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment